BBDW 80 [END] [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

Epilogue (UNEDITED) 

The weather was warm enough to be a little hot. Now the old woman, with light-grey strands began to mix in her hair, stopped her hands as she was pruning the garden and straightened her back for a while. Perhaps because of her age, her body, which used to be unaffected even after spending hours in the garden, was creaking strangely these days. After a few pats on the waist, she suddenly looked back on the quiet side of the road. It’s the suburb of Chicago and a man was walking carelessly on the road with few people coming and going. Dark blond hair and green eyes, he had only one small backpack on his shoulder. The old woman tilted her head.

It was very rare for an outsider to enter this town.

Glancing around and looking all over the place, he soon found the old woman and shouted and asked.

"Well, which way do I have to go to get out of this town? I'm new here, so I don't know the way."

"Well, I guess you’re in the wrong direction. It'll be about three more blocks away and just follow the signs."

"Oh-thank you. Excuse me, I'm really sorry, but could you give me a glass of water? I'm thirsty because I've been going in circles around here for two hours."

The old woman, who was watching the young man gasping and fanning with his hand in place just like what big dogs do on a summer day, soon burst into a small smile. "Of course, hold on a second, young man." As she entered the house patting on her stiff back, she soon walked out with a glass of water. He must have been really tired, as he leaned against the fence and ruffling through his hair with an annoyed look on his face. He welcomed the water the old woman gave him. It was only after emptying more than half of them at once that the greeting came out.

"Thank you. It's surprisingly complicated here."

"Hohoho, yes. It's a bit difficult when outsiders come for the first time. By the way, what are you doing here? There's no way you're going up here for sightseeing. Were you going somewhere else?"

"Just, there's someone I want to see for a second. I’ve been walking around and reached this place, since someone I knew lived here."

"Oh, my God, is that so? Who, your friend? Or family?"

Fiddling his scattered blond hair with his hand, he smiled a little awkwardly.

"Well, it's a little vague. I didn't come here to talk to her; I just wanted to know how she’s doing. It's a little awkward to say we're close."

"Well, you must have had a fight."

He shrugged his shoulders. As he took another sip of water, his face calmed down much more than before.

"Well, I was abandoned. I guess I didn't mean much."

"Oh, my God, is it your lover?"

The young man burst into laughter as if it was really funny and covered his mouth with his hand. After a long breath of laughter, he soon raised his head and wiped away some tears.

"Well, I don't know what to say, but it doesn't matter now. She didn't even recognize me."

"Oh, come on, there are so many women in the world."

He nodded his head half-heartedly and laughed. The carefree impression looked a little dazed somewhere. Is he dumped because she doesn't trust him? Mumbling her rude question inwardly, the man suddenly said to her.

"Nice house, huh? And a nice garden. How long have you been doing this?"

"Oh, I've only been here a few years. My husband retired from his business in New York. It was a pretty famous company, I wonder if he's run out of energy now. We're staying in peace here now, I guess."

"Well, the business must have cost you a fortune; you must have been quite rich."

Unlike the young man smiling with admiration, the smile on the old woman's face was erased for a moment. The reason is, a not so good memory begins to creep out slowly. Being silent with a shaded face, she then came to her senses at the young man's puzzling call.

"Ma’am, are you sick?"

"Oh, no, no. Well, I was lucky. I happened to have a big sum of money coming in. I was able to help rebuild my husband's hard-earned business. So it's been running smoothly so far."

"Oh, I see. It's a relief to hear that.”

The woman shuddered, but nodded her head and agreed with a smile. Yes, it was a good thing. Fortunately, their children were able to go to private schools safely, and now they were also on the road to success in the elite ranks. The old woman, who was forced to look at the young man, suddenly narrowed her eyebrows. She had a strange feeling. Is this what you call a sense of deja vu? No, I think it's a little different from that. The young man opened his eyes wide and asked the old woman, who tilted her head with a very puzzled face.

"What's wrong?"

"Have I seen you somewhere? You look a little familiar."

"Come on, I told you. It's my first time in this town."

He smiled and waved his hands. Yeah, I guess so. My memory got blurry as I got older. She laughed along, rebuking herself lightly. He shrugged after emptying all the remaining water at once.

"It was a coincidence that I came here today. And until I found the house here, I had no idea how it would feel. It was a situation where I could have been angry."

"Oh, my God. I guess you’re very disappointed. Why, did she leave you without telling you?"

"Similar. It was one-sided. I haven't seen her for a long time. So when I saw her again, I was a little nervous because I didn't know how to react. I didn't want to cause trouble."

"Be careful, if you act emotionally, you'll regret it later. Did anything happen to you?"

The man then laughed a little differently than he did before. It was an easy-going but somewhat empty laugh.

"Yeah, well, it feels a little weird, but I don't even feel like getting angry. It's too late to be angry. What is she gonna do even if I’m mad? She won't take me seriously anyway."

"Yes, yes. It's always bad to get angry. You’re a wise young man."

The woman smiled broadly and frowned again. That's weird. I'm sure I've seen him somewhere. A long time ago, somewhere. Before she could finish thinking, the young man smiled with his eyes and handed his glass to the woman.

"Well, I'm going to get going. Thank you for the drink and…. what’s your name?”

"Oh, Darlene. It's Darlene Hill. I’m usually called Mrs Hill, and my friends call me Darlene."

The old woman answered, taking the handed over glass. The man raised his hand and waved lightly as a greeting.

"Yes, then goodbye, Mrs Hill. Keep your garden pretty."

"Yes, young man. Goodbye, watch your way."

From behind, he appeared like he’s wobbling away. His cell phone rang so he took it out and then spoke half-heartedly. - "Oh, why again. Hate it. No, I’m not. Why do I have to report to you one by one? Oh my God, you're so smart. Feel free to think." – He stretched out once and walked away to the end of the road. Watching as he cast dark shadows on the ground for a moment, she went into the house with the glass. In front of the sink, she turned on the water with a nagging feeling that she couldn't shake off.

I've seen his face before. Is he the one I saw in New York when my husband was on a fishing trip with his friends? It's definitely not the face I saw after we retired and moved here. When I was in New York, I saw so many people. But for a young man that age now, when I was in New York, he'd be a very young student or a little kid. I don't remember knowing other kids that age in New York. Did I happen to see him at a bus stop or something like that?  

Darlene's hand, which was washing the glass, stopped. A child? An ominous feeling wriggled in her stomach. There was one more child, except her children, who she knew in New York. Suddenly, one day, appearing as if it had dropped out of the sky, a lump of luggage was placed in her house that was already in a difficult situation. But what the child brought wasn't a burden, and the adults took advantage of it. And the child, a strange-looking child with blond hair and green eyes was brought by Darlene’s hand to….

"Oh, my God….. Oh, my God…..!"

Clink! The cup that fell from Darlene's hand broke into pieces. Darlene took a step back, covering her mouth with trembling hands. Things from the past suddenly came running and were coming at her. Darlene looked outside once with overwhelmed eyes. Her feet, which soon ran out, were staggering a little.

"Hen...!"

Tears seemed to pour out as soon as she whispered out part of the names she had buried deep in her memory. She didn't know if it was regret or fear. She looked around with trembling eyes, but his shadow was no longer visible. Only the beautiful scenery of the peaceful and languid suburb stood out. No, no. You can't do this. Darlene walked up to the fence and looked around more closely. But there was still nothing to be seen.

Darlene slumped in the middle of the garden, feeling her heart sink. Darlene from nearly 20 years ago. She needed the money, and there’s no need for another mouth to suck her money. So, so. She threw the child to the monster and turned her back. She didn't have the guts to look back on her sins. Covering her ears, under the guise of his convenient ignorance, she didn't even try to remember him. And he didn't give Darlene a chance to atone. The child she 'sold' for her home is now gone after drinking only a glass of water calmly. Yeah, those green eyes. The green eyes which seemed to be empty somewhere. How could she forget? The strange look on his face which didn't look like a child. Of course, since she tried hard to forget that. She already knew the abominable answer.

"Hender..."

-I was abandoned, she didn't even recognize me.

-She won't take the one she abandoned seriously.

No, it's not. It wasn't like that. I mean it. Darlene stuttered out words that no one would listen to.

The weather was mild. In a beautiful garden in a quiet and beautiful remote suburb, the old woman sat sprawling, shaking her head endlessly and covering her face with both hands. She couldn't even think of wiping what was flowing between her fingers until the sound of sobbing and panting surprised the neighbour who was passing by the house and calmed her down.


Comments

  1. Thank youuuu! What a journey.
    Raising my hand, I definitely relate to that feeling.

    Even though my gut says, "No. There's no update today.", I still end up checking this site everyday if there was a new chapter. 😅 Now I feel a bit sad since its the end.

    The only thing this novel lacks is the Jude and Alvin fluffy scenesssss! I want more dog food! Haha. Still, love this novel. Thank you again for translating and sharing it to us leechers ahahahahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah you're welcome 💐 I agree we need more dog food actually 🤤 but well ~ author is the law hahah. It feels kinda weird now that I'm not doing any translating thingy.... Honestly I'm planning to pick up Fortune Killer (another Korean BL novel) since it was funny and adorkable and always make me feel like punching the ML but I'm not sure if I should or not 🤔 Haiz so hard. Anyway, thank you reading so far ♥️

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the translation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome 💐 and thank you for reading too ♥️

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this novel. I find epilogue perfect even though I hoped for somethings else. Even though I don’t usually wait for new chapters, here I couldn’t wait to read what is going to happen. I’m very thankful to you for translating this.❤️

    (I’m sorry if I made any mistakes, english isn’t my first language.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you 😌 It feels like all the loose ends are finally tied up in this epilogue but it still leaves us room for imagination 😆 And it's okay, English is not my first language either hahah. Thank you for reading 🤗

      Delete
  4. Finished reading!

    This novel is so amazing! This will be one of my favorite crime BL novel ever!

    Thank you so much for the wonderful translation—I can easily understand every words and situation.

    Stay healthy! ☆〜(ゝ。∂)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading 😆 I'm glad you like it hahah and I'll just accept the compliment shamelessly ☺ Stay healthy too 💪

      Delete
  5. It's over, no more Jude, no more Alvin, and no more Tim... I loved all of them, which I rarely do with novels, and from the beginning, I had no idea what emotional roller coaster I was getting myself into haha. Seriously, thank you and good job with the translation, raising my hand too haha. Do you have any plans on translating another novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome 🤗 What a journey right 😆 Well I'm actually planning to pick up Fortune Killer since the previous translator dropped it since 2018 I think. But I'm having a bit of a dilemma coz the ML will make you love him and hate him at the same time *sigh. If I do pick up that novel, you might accidentally join me in roasting the ML until certain chapter *smirk 🤣 But we'll see. I'll prolly translate from the beginning. But the earliest update would be next month ahahah (if FK is still un-picked-up by anyone). I'm taking a break first
      for now 😉 And thank you for reading ♥️🤗

      Delete
  6. Оh Gоd, Тhе соnvеrѕаtіоn bеtwееn Јudе аnd hіѕ mоthеr іѕ hеаrt brеаkіng. Whеn hе саmе tо knоw thаt hіѕ mоthеr buіlt hеr nеw hоmе іn ехсhаngе оf hіѕ lіfе. Ноw hе ѕаіd hе ѕhоuld fееl аngrу but іt'ѕ роіntlеѕѕ nоw . Тhаt оnе glаѕѕ оf wаtеr іѕ thе lаѕt thіng hе wаntеd frоm hіѕ bіrth mоthеr.Nоthіng wіll gо bасk thе wау іt wаѕ. Вut оvеrаll І'm hарру Јudе іѕ оkау nоw аѕ hе mаdе реасе wіth hіmѕеlf. Іt was a bittersweet journey 😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ermmm... she might not be his mom actually although the author never stated whether just one or both of Jude's parents are dead 😥The best guess is she's the relative who's supposed to take care of Jude after the plane crash but then dump Jude to the orphanage where Jude eventually run away from. It's sad yeah 😢 Jude went through so much because of that woman's selfish decision 😭 Btw thanks for reading 😘

      Delete
  7. Ive been waiting for this novel to complete since 2018...2017? Thanks for translating. I really like jude and alvin 😍 the ending was pretty nice too, though I accidentally thought jude was tryna commit suicide during the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same too 😱 and I still remember when I first read this how I actually hold my breath until Alvin came, pheww. False alarm. Thanks for reading 😘♥️

      Delete
  8. Hey, thank you alot for translating this novel. You're my saviour actually. I still remember how hard to find this novel translated when i first read it 3 years ago. Now it's end finally and i still can't believe i finally finished read this novel. Thank yous so much for your effort. I hope you introduce more interesting bl korean novel in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhahah you're welcome ♥️ And thanks for reading too 😆 I feel you actually abt how hard to find this novel. But not anymore hahhah. And I've already decided on the next Korean BL so maybe we'll meet again soon 🤗

      Delete
  9. Seriously, thank you for bringing this piece of work to light. I really really liked the ending. I wish there were some extras for the chapter though ToT. I wish to see what jude did after his parting with tim. How did he travel the world. How was his life after. Damn this bittersweet feeling is bugging me lol. Once again thank youu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome 🤗 And you're totally right about the extras we desperately need that 😭 Author-nim why you do this to us 😢 but anyway thanks for reading 😉

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for your hard work. I really enjoyed the book and I really appreciate that your translation gave me the opportunity to read it.

    On a different note, if you need an editor, you can contact me. I'm housebound bc of my condition and spend all my awake time reading so I wouldn't mind helping with editing translations. I've tried my hand at translating Chinese novels, but, bc I don't know any Chinese, it was too difficult to keep going back and forth for every character's translation. But editing is a lot easier than translating using a dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaaw thank you for reading and you're welcome hahah. I also enjoy reading all of your previous comments although I didn't reply (since I'm afraid I might slip out some spoilers unintentionally) plus I'm shocked at so many comments so suddenly. Your opinions are very much appreciated.

      And as for your offer to be an editor, that is very kind of you. Really. Unfortunately, I couldn't focus too much on this website as I've been very busy lately. I'm actually stuck with lab assignments and jobs at the same time and I also haven't been translating much for the past few weeks. I'm currently translating Fortune Killer Chapter 3 and there are about 10 pages left (abt one third of the whole chapter). Well, if you're still interested then you can try for this novel first since you've read everything. You can use the Contact page since it's safer there then I'll email you the details. And stay safe.

      Delete
  11. Wow....what a beautiful end. I actually think it's perfect: a better rnd would have been unbelievable, whereas this bittersweet is just perfect, a very good reflection of the whole book and of Jude's character.

    Thank you a lot for picking this Novel and translating it, you did a very good job!!!🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss +1 and thanks for reading too and also for the compliment ehehehe.... Me so shy now since there are still people reading this novel *looks at the unedited in caps nervously...

      Delete
  12. Even though it's been almost a year since I read the last chapter 😔 here I am ✋ and I think this ending is really good although I would have liked more fluffy scenes between my babies but it's ok 💕
    Thank you for your hard work ❤️💯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome 🤗 Congrats for finally getting to the end 😢🎉 It's definitely not easy to leggo of them *sobsob And thank you for reading ♥️

      Delete
  13. I was reading a book review for this and found that there might be 5 short stories? Some other people said there is 6 but that might including the epilogue

    Review: https://blog.naver.com/kimjh7638/221450427680

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😱 Really ?!!! I didn't know that OMG 😭 The thing is even finding this book took me years. So I expect it was completed just like that (since that's the extent of the story I got a few years back). Guess I'll need to hunt for the side stories then. Haha.

      Delete
  14. My gosh it's over just like that. Thank you so much for translating this, I came back to this novel like after 5 years and I finally have an end to the charming Psycho Alvin and Mysterious Jude. I hope they can live together like a bickering old couple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading too 🤗 Hard to believe it's been a year+ since it was completed, so coming back here feels somewhat nostalgic ahahah. And you're welcome 😎

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BBDW 78 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 74 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 73 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 1 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 69 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland