BBDW 44 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

Section 38 (UNEDITED) 

Half-mad, the Chief asked for an inspection of the laptop almost in a seizure, but nothing was found in the laptop until the promised time neared. It was unclear whether the product was supplied on a formal route or not, and there was no program to point out the user's clues other than the very basic specifications. Despite the desperate efforts of the Chief and other police officers, - if we don't get anything out of this, we may see hell at nine o'clock tonight! - apparently, there was still no harvest tonight, and eventually, they were forced to sit in front of the turned on laptop around 9 p.m.

"I feel so disgusted..."

"Damn it, I know something's going to pop out but I'm still watching this..."

Perhaps it was hard to bear the heavy silence; small voices of complaints coming from all over the place can be heard. But since there was no other option, they all looked at the monitor with strangely stiff faces. Jeffrey, who was busy running around from daytime, nervously looking at the clock, touching his chin.

"You're not nervous?"

Tim, who had already been emptying his coffee cup for the third time, asked Jude quietly. The blond detective, stretching with a long yawn, nodded indifferently at his partner's words. In any case, Jude turned his neck lightly, smiling face-to-face at Tim who was wearing a grave expression and laughed once. The sound of people swallowing their dry saliva seemed to be heard vividly. The air was so tense that it couldn't be stretched any longer. All their nerves were directed at the heartless second hand on the clock. It's 8:59.

When all the police stopped breathing, several messages suddenly popped up on the monitor and a video emerged on the surface. As soon as the content of the video can be made out, the people in the room held their breath. A woman was tightly bound to a chair, lowly sobbing. The woman, who appeared to be about the same age as Sally, didn't cry out loud even though she wasn't gagged. Whether it was a warehouse or a basement, the space is so dark that people couldn't even see properly. Like a sombre space where the smell of sewage and cement is likely to flourish. The eyes of the people watching were dismally and upsettingly distorted, as a black human figure slowly appears in front of the screen.

[- Hello. This is Alvin Jones. No, let’s call it the person who will succeed him.]

[......sa, save me...... don't do this, let me go......!]

The woman's voice was thin but desperate. Looking back at the squeezed voice, the man covered in a black hood or something on his face continued to speak with his face facing the monitor straight.

[Since today is a special day, I gave the police permission to be present. You've been invited, and if you enjoy it, I can't ask for more.]

This peculiar hoarse voice must have been the one that called on Jude's cell phone. Nodding unconsciously once, the man moved slowly and picked up something on the shelf he had placed next to the woman. Even with the unclear image quality, it could be seen that the small, sharp sparkling item was not very friendly. Even under dark lighting, the people present could clearly see the woman's face turning worse.

[......First of all, I'd like to give you a brief explanation. I think you already knew that my identity wasn't Alvin Jones. But it doesn't matter, from now on you'll treat me as an equal to, or as his name. The name I originally had doesn't matter now, if I could be called a more special and powerful name.]

The small thing in the man's hand, which looks like a scalpel, slowly drew a line and stopped in front of the woman's eyes. The woman was now unable to make a sound and barely able to continue her intermittent breathing.

[Do you know? This full feeling. I, who was nothing, can be named after the greatest fear just by doing this simple thing over and over again. Isn't that amazing? Even my neighbours didn't know me very well until yesterday, and all of a sudden I see the TV all over the country talking about my actions! Mass media, of course, is a blessing, especially for someone like me.]

It must have been a dark life devoid of any attention. Jude got a little bored with the content that was not much different from what he heard on the phone, and when he looked around at the others, they were holding out their breath and concentrating on the laptop monitor. The scalpel, which had stopped in front of the woman's eyes on the screen, slowly descended and slit her neck slightly.

[Fear……..darkness ……. shadow…… the abyss of a brilliant city …..When I imagined I would be a name to represent them, a pleasure I'd never felt before paralyzed my brain. So, I decided to be faithful to my desire. I have studied a lot about Alvin Jones. He didn't really try to undermine his behaviour because of painful memories from his childhood. He didn't even try to make excuses. Of course, he didn't feel any guilt whatsoever.]

That's true. Nodding his head for the first time at the man's words, Jude held his chin and breathed a short sigh. Rather, murder for money or affection is simple. They regret, blame themselves, and easily leave their tails out because they clearly feel that this is wrong. In the back of their mind, they know that they have to pay the price for their sins.

But he is different. I don't know how he got his home education, but the universal value of ethics seemed to have not accumulated more than as knowledge in this young man's head. He knows killing people is a sin. He doesn't blame me for trying to catch him and execute him. Because that's my job.

But he doesn't feel guilty about what he did. What can he do that he feels like that?

From a detective's point of view, it was the worst case.

[I'm going to be born anew, like the one I studied. To be fearless about nothing, and not bound by anything. And, by tearing apart the detective who caught Alvin Jones for a while, I am complete. I don't really know why Alvin Jones was caught by the detective, and I don't know why he didn't kill him, but I'm sure about this.]

The man shrugged his shoulders as he slipped the scalpel through the woman's trembling collarbone, soundlessly.

[I think that was his only mistake. Or maybe it was entertainment against the police. But I'm different........ I won't make any mistakes. Take a closer look at this woman's suffering, because you will die in a finer avant-garde form based on this.]

[No, no... Don't... Don't... Don't... Save me... I have children, I have a husband, I have families... Please help me...]

"Can't you track it or something?"

At the woman’s sobbing, Jeffrey shouted like a bellow, but the agent shook his head in despair. There was an intolerable sense of helplessness in his eyes.

"….he’s just sending it as a signal to this computer. It doesn't seem to be a registered product in the first place. If it was a computer that can be tracked, he wouldn't have sent it here in the first place."

"So, what, we're supposed to just sit here and watch that woman torn to pieces for hours?! What a ridiculous thing to do and no one has ever been on the list of suspects? Whether it's a witness, look for ex-convicts based on their area of residence!"

"Well, you know we've done it all. Not to mention forensic evidence. Although I have requested a report, there have been no reports of witnesses yet, and most of the ex-convicts living in the vicinity have an alibi. And if the killer has a car..."

"I know!"

Shouting ferociously, Jeffrey jerked his head. His face was red with shame, anger, and fear when Jude saw him. He’s a federal agent, but he has to put up with this kind of farce for the sake of dealing with numbers of bizarre cases. It was obvious that he was thinking about me -- and Jude looked around at Tim. The feelings on his partner's face were not much different from that of Jeffrey’s, but there were a stronger sadness and sympathy painted on his face. Tim, you have a good personality. With a shake of his head, Jude turned to the monitor. Speaking in a curiously excited tone, he was observing her from the woman's side in a restrained manner contrary to his tone.

[You can be honoured. You're contributing to the succession of a name that means great things. Based on you, I’ll kill him--]

[-Yes, I heard it well. I will be.]

Suddenly, someone else's voice cut off the man's hoarse voice. The calm voice froze the viewers in an instant. Those who predicted the tragedy that would happen in the future, bit by bit behind the monitor looked at the man who was confused as everyone opened their eyes wide. The camera lens was out of reach from the man's gaze, and the police listened to the voice, feeling both nervous and surprised.

[You don't have to repeat that logic because I've heard it so much before. Actually, it's not that interesting.]

[Y, you... You can't... really... real Alvin...]

[You must have realized that you're a fake because you're using the expression "real." I'm not that attached to my name, but it's a little different if you're doing something bothersome with my name. I came here on purpose because of that. It would be bothersome to pretend to listen, right? Actually, I'm not in a very good mood right now.]

[Really Alvin Jones... Oh, my God...! I never thought I'd see you like this...!]

Alvin Jones! Jeffrey came close as if he would jump into the screen. Jude lowered his chin and slowly looked at the platinum-haired young man coming into the screen with his arms crossed. The man took a step back with the scalpel as if he had been pressed by something.

[Gee, what's wrong with you? From your point of view, shouldn't I be the one you should kill too? I have to disappear for you to get the title "real," right? Come on, it's a good opportunity, isn't it? Maybe I won't have another chance to appear in front of you like this?]

A teasing voice articulated cleverly. The man, who was falteringly backing down, soon stopped stepping back and tried to get back to his position. The woman looked alternately at Alvin and the man as if she had no idea what was going on.

[I, I've always wanted to talk to you.]

[You’ll kill me next?]

[Well, that's...]

[Oh, that's weird. Wasn't it necessary for you to abandon the name Ted Royman? The one in the ranks of the insignificant, disgraced and discharged soldier, a failure of life in which your wife and child have all left you behind. Shouldn't I be gone to paint your own gold in that life?]

"Search him under the name Ted Royman! On the military list! Send people out when they get something out of there!" 

"Yes, sir!"

Commanding quickly, Jeffrey headed back to the monitor. The man shouted and clenched his fist once as if holding back his anger.

[You, you're...! You've been the driving force in keeping me alive for the last few months! Isn't it natural to think that I want to talk to such a person?]

[Gee, that's even more regrettable.]

Alvin approached the camera. [What are you doing?] - There was a puzzling question from Ted, but Alvin smiled at the camera and covered the lens with something.

[-I'm not interested in talking to you.]

Flap. And the lens blacked out. The officers watching from this side buzzed lightly. Instead of waking up from the nightmare, the ominousness of seeing another nightmare swept through them. Tim asked Jude in a puzzled voice.

"He really showed up, Alvin Jones......! How the hell did he know?"

"Well, murderers think alike. Maybe they had their own way."

"What do you think?"

"What?"

Tim's face was serious, and he had a face full of worry.

"Can she... can she live?"

"Well... maybe it’s possible to live? Alvin Jones went to get rid of that copycat, not to get rid of her. I'll leave it up to luck."

"I feel like I'm having the worst nightmare of my life....."

Just a few minutes after Tim shook his head, the monitor screen suddenly returned. Again, all eyes were on it, and they grew with astonishment. Where the woman was once tied, instead it was the man wearing the hood that was tied in the same way. Slowly, the sound of fluent speech and footsteps rang at the same time.

[If you're wondering about the woman, you don't have to worry about her, it's a bit difficult if she runs out first, so I put her over there, but I have no wish in paying attention to her.]

An uneasy sigh of relief echoed in the air, no matter who it was. Alvin smiled faintly as if he had seen their reaction, and approached the man. The man was shaking.

[Can I tell you why I'm not interested in you?]

[No, no, what.......]

[You said you wanted to be me. But it's just the kind of struggle that came out of the inferiority complex. There is no deep feeling. I felt it while looking at you.]

[Me, me, looking at me...]

[Didn't you feel anything? That night, the moment you were holding a gun and talking to him on your cell phone, I was behind you. You will eventually come to find him, so all I have to do is wait for you around him. Isn't it simple?]

As he spoke, Alvin picked up the scalpel that the man had just lifted. Putting on a student-like face who was contemplating what to make from this, the man shouted hysterically.

[Uh, why! I respect you! Why like this, for stealing your name? Well, then that’s it. I'll follow you. I'll make a move for you!]

[...... because you stole my name? No, it's a little different. Ted.]

Calling his name gently enough, Alvin turned the scalpel once in his hand.

[Maybe, more importantly, you said you understood me. You kept saying, it was my mistake or for amusement sake to be caught by the police. You will be me by killing him.]

[Well....... yes, no matter what the problem...]

[Ah, there's a big problem.]

Alvin turned his back on the camera. Without any particular movement or words, a silver glint flashed in the air once. With a scalpel stuck under the clavicle, a hoarse scream erupted from the man's mouth. In that scream, Alvin's voice reached Jude's ear with a curious clarity.

[-You don't know anything about me.]

His heart suddenly went numb. As Jude stepped back reflexively, Alvin whispered something into the screaming man's ear. Because it was a low sound, it was not caught on camera, but only the eyes that were enlarged by the man's consternation were captured on the monitor.

[No way, you can't...]

Twisting the scalpel, Alvin turned to the camera. It was a calm smile, but all the police gathered at the station felt the chill running down their spines.

[From now on, I don't think it's a good scene to see, from your point of view. If you don't want to see it, you can turn off the monitor. You know what's going to happen. But I can assure you that it will be difficult to find this place until I finish all the work. When I’m done, I'll release the woman over there, so it'll be the fastest to hear from her.]

Finishing off neatly, Alvin approached the man in the hood. As the police feel complicated feelings - it's a relief that the woman is alive, but should they be watching it for the next few hours, can't we just turn it off, how did Alvin Jones find him - Tim looked back at his partner and was a little bit surprised. His partner, who was standing without any problems until just before the woman was drawn by the scalpel, was covering his mouth with a slightly blue face.

"Jude, what's wrong? Are you okay? You don't look well."

"......no, I'm fine......well, I just don't feel good."

"You can’t feel good looking at that. Do you want to go early? You even played the role of bait, so you can do that. Go get some rest. Well, that guy can't go after you anymore. Chief!"

Not hearing any word to refusal, Tim told the exhausted Chief that he would leave and take him home first. The Chief just nodded as if he couldn't afford to think about anything, and Tim pulled out the key and dragged Jude's arm. Turning away from Jeffrey's sharp gaze, Jude headed for the car as soon as Tim pulled him out.

*        *        *


Comments

  1. I am really curious about what alvin said 😏 and what happened to jude ?
    Thank you ❤️💯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious too ¯\_༼ ಥ ‿ ಥ ༽_/¯ and I'm in the middle of translating for the next update at the moment and and and.....ahhh [spoiler] ..... can't say it, so... just wait for the next update ( ˘ ͜ʖ ˘) And you're welcome.

      Delete
  2. I’m starting to wonder if Alvin and Jude’s first meeting was really their first meeting.
    Maybe they met when they were children but Jude doesn’t know because he has memory loss? Or maybe Alvin just fell in love with Jude at first sight 😆
    I wonder why Jude reacted sensitively to Alvin’s words [-You don't know anything about me.]
    This novel really deserves to have mystery genre

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BBDW 78 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 80 [END] [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 74 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 61 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 73 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 58 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland