BBDW 56 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland


Section 59.1 (UNEDITED)

Alvin, who nodded readily at Jude's words to not draw blood in whatever his way is, began to look in every corner of the room. Every gap in the shelf in the corner of the wall, and even the window frame. There seemed to be a clicking sound as he scrutinizes everything. Jude sat on an antique chair staring at the fireplace in the reception room, while the rarely flickering pale blue-grey eyes looked around George's body. There was a conflict between the reason as a detective to help Alvin and the instinct that he did not need any help, especially from a detective who is not normal now. And beyond the collision, there was an unknown sense of fear and avoidance of that fireplace.

In other words, Jude now was a little distracted.  

Then you can get out of here, right? A ridiculous voice whispered in his head. Where am I going when I go out? Anywhere. You just have to stay out of the people’s eye and not look at that fireplace. To be exact, the body in the fireplace. But I don't want to. Jude bit his lips hard. Until now, he didn't really want to put together pieces of memory about the past. However, the story is different when you can see the cracks in the door which had been locked for a long time in front of you. It feels like the wife of The Blue Beard who was troubled by things beyond the door. Jude sighed briefly.

It was not enough to be called pure curiosity. If I don't look in, I feel like I’m committing a crime. I don't know what's going to come back in return, but somehow I can't stop my foot. But I feel like I shouldn't. Ah, I don't know. Jude, who was contemplating his choices inside, shook his head and stared at the body in the fireplace. It seems like he just stood up with his eyes open and dreamed something about it. The more he became conscious of it, the clearer his mind is, but the afterimage of that dream didn't come back.

"This is frustrating..."

As he swung his head onto the backrest and threw up an annoying sound, Alvin turned his head as he was looking at George, kneeling down on one knee by the fireplace.

"If you feel uncomfortable, go somewhere else. You don't look good."

"No, no. I’m good."

Jude, who raises his hand lightly, rests his chin on it and started shooting a glance at the fireplace again. As Alvin glanced at Jude, he turned back to George without saying much. His eyes, which carefully examining the hem of the collar, were not even nervous.

Soon after looking back at Jude, Alvin's mouth had a pure smile that could be said to be calm. What? -Facing Jude, who was looking at him with his eyes, the light brown-haired young man stand up oddly.

"Let's go downstairs and get some people."

"Huh? To interrogate?"

"I'm not a cop, I don't know the details of the interrogation. But it's good enough to hear what we need, so I'll do it somehow. I think it'll be more like an interview rather than an interrogation."

When Alvin and Jude went downstairs to bring someone, the people who attended the event were still buzzing. It was difficult to find the exuberance before Lyle screamed animatedly. All eyes were on Jude and Alvin, who were coming down from the second floor. Jude grumbled briefly inside, as everyone’s eyes are asking for an answer. I know you want to hear something from a detective, but can't you stop looking at the police as if they’re gods? Jack and Kate were standing close to each other, whispering something with worried faces.

"Jude! What's going on, huh? What happened to George?"

As soon as she saw Jude and Alvin coming down the stairs, the woman with long brown hair approached him first and asked Jude, who tilted his head vaguely. He couldn't say to his worried friends at the orphanage, 'In fact, I'm handing it over to the guy next to me right now because I was disturbed by the fireplace in the reception room, and by the way, you don't really need to know that he's actually a serial killer,' so Jude just shrugged.

"Well, I'm not sure yet."

"So I'd like to hear from the people here. Would you please cooperate?"

His voice was polite and civil. Anxiety was mixed with people's voices. Oh, what are we doing? Hey, I had another appointment for dinner. What do I do, why do I get involved in something weird and annoying when I come here? The sound of their mind was plain to the eye, without having to see through it. As Alvin hardened his face - Jude was convinced it was a contrived look – he pointed to the first-floor corner. Lyle's body that crouched down in the corner of the room shook. Just like a turtle protecting its body.

"He's the first person to find the body, so I think we need to hear more from him."

"What, what, what? I, uh, I didn’t do anything, I mean...."

"It's just a simple question, come on. Let's talk about it in the room upstairs."

Lyle came scurrying up. Jude sighed at the intriguing smile that Alvin made for a short moment rather than Lyle's staggering steps. Alvin leaned slowly toward Jude and spoke softly.

"Just keep up with what I'm saying from now on."

"Yeah, well."

I'm a detective, can I do this? A belated thought came to mind for a moment and disappeared. The answer has already been given since he dreamed with his eyes open in front of the fireplace.

Lyle, who entered the small room on the second floor, sat on the chair as if he was falling. The way he looked at Alvin and Jude, who slowly followed him, was terrified. Like he just took a shower, his body was soaked in sweat. The smell of the hot body wafted in. Lyle looked at Jude imploringly.

"Well, Ju, Jude. I have nothing to say. I just went up and saw George like that, and that's all. Why? So, uh, so you’re not going to...."

"That's not good, Mr Trace."

Alvin cut off Lyle's words. Lyle looked back at Alvin with trembling eyes.

"Why, why?"

"You were the last one to be with the victim. And you were the first to find the body. It doesn't seem like you wouldn't be suspicious, does it?”

"No, nono, no, no way! I didn't do anything, I really just--!"

"It's not confirmed yet, but you're the prime suspect right now. Right, Jude?"

"Yes, I'm afraid so. Lyle, you’re the only one who's been up and down of the second floor after we got down."

"Don’t, don't be so ridiculous, Jude! There's another rear side stairway up the second floor, you know! Then why do you doubt me? Well, I would have gone through a blind spot path if I really were going to kill George!"

"Well, there's a certain law for premeditated crime, isn’t there? If it's accidental, that's fair enough.  Besides, you looked strangely anxious when you came down from the second floor. You sweat so much, and glance at me for no reason."

Lyle's small eyes opened as wide as they could. Lyle, who had been choking the air several times, stuttered with his hands shaking and fumbling.  

"No, no, that's just, I was nervous about something that didn't work out in business! If you think I killed based on that ground, that's ridiculous! And what do I get by killing George, we're working for the same company!"

"You never know. At first glance, George seems to be treating you very harshly. Hate is always good motivation."

That's true. Money and hatred are almost everything. When Jude nodded at Alvin's words, Lyle's face turned blue. Breathing heavily, he was about to collapse from a heart attack. I don't think this little guy would have really killed anyone. Jude leans slightly, and Alvin, sitting next to him, tapped on the table with a non-counting touch. Tang, Lyle's shoulders were overrun by the small noise.

"This is what we think, Mr Trace. We'll focus our future investigation on it."

"Hey, hey, that's ridiculous. No way…."

"So go ahead and wait. I'll let you know when the results come out. Jude, let's go down. I'll get the next person."

"Oh, yeah."

Alvin got up from his seat, not even looking at Lyle shaking his legs. Jude, who was a little worried that he might be peeing here at this rate, said to him in a relaxed tone.

"It's not confirmed yet, so you don't have to be so drowned. Go and wait, I'll let you know when something more comes out.”

"Oh, uh, yeah, yeah."

He couldn't seem to break his habit of stuttering since he was little. Barely holding onto his leg, Lyle walked out of the room.

To Alvin, who took a quick glance at the clock, Jude didn't really ask. By the time Lyle's irregular footsteps couldn’t be heard anymore, Alvin went back downstairs. While looking around, he pointed out to a robust man with brown hair who was sticking tightly next to his wife.

 

"Hey, Jude, what the hell's going on? Huh? Who killed him?"

"Well, so to speak."

"To be honest, the person we suspect the most right now is Mr Layton."

The first thing Alvin said when he sat face to face in front of Jack, Jude had to try hard not to look back at him unconsciously. Jack's face became stiff in an instant.

"What are you talking about? You called me here out of nowhere."

"I can't go into detail because the investigation process has to be kept strictly confidential, but there's evidence of Mr Layton at the scene. The victim's head was badly damaged, and it was probably a wound made by the wooden bat next to the fireplace. To swing the blunt instrument with that much power, you have to be a pretty well-built man, and I clearly remember that you weren't here at the supposed time of the incident. Your wife has been looking for you."

"Don't talk nonsense!"

Jack's voice grew louder. Jude reached out his hand quickly. Jack, who was halfway up from his seat, slowly sat down, staring at Alvin and Jude alternately.

"It's true that I didn't like George very much. I didn't want to see him get in his head and ignore his friends, and I knew he was mistreating Lyle, who came out of the same orphanage, like a slave. But murder is another matter, I don't want to kill someone I only see a few times a year just because they're so annoying!"

"Let's put off explaining the motive. But how would you explain leaving halfway?"

"I went out for a while to smoke, I can't sit here smoking in front of the kids. If you're going to treat someone as a criminal for a moment's absence, one-third of the people in here will be criminals."

"Oh, I see. Including your wife."

"-You!"

Jack shouted abruptly. Rattle! The chair rolled back. Jack, who grabbed Alvin by the collar in an instant, was out of breath. Jude quickly grabbed his thick arm. His eyes toward Alvin were burning. The scratchy voice rang low.

"If you're thinking of dragging Kate, I won't let it go….. There's nothing wrong with Kitty! You don't know anything. Kate was.......!"

Jack, who seemed to say something more, bit his lips. Jude increases the strength in holding Jack's arm.

"Jack, stop it!"

".......Damn it......."

Tuk. Jack snapped his hand off Alvin like he was pushing him away. Alvin, who briefly steadied his upper body backwards, cleaned up his crumpled collar with a prickly-like face. Jack, who was huffing for a moment, looked at Jude, instead of Alvin, and spat out roughly.

"If you're just going to say this, I'll leave, because I have nothing more to say. When I came back from smoking, the atmosphere was crazy, and I heard from Kate that George was dead. As I said before, this is all I know."

Jack stormed out of his seat before he could say it was all right. As the sound of footsteps ringing all over the wooden floor drifted away, Alvin rose from his seat again, as he had before.

Without much hesitation, the person he pointed out again was a woman standing next to Jack with a stone-hard face. Kate, who glanced uneasily at Jack's ugly face, came up to the second-floor room without saying a word. As soon as she sat down, Kate asked Jude urgently.

"What happened? Jack didn't look very good. He wouldn't answer my question."

"There wasn't much to say. He must have realized the fact that someone died."

In response to his casual answer, the brunette woman nodded with a worried face. Raising her face soon, she opened her mouth carefully, alternately looking at Alvin and Jude.

"By the way, I don't have much to tell you......I first heard that George died when Lyle came down. And I, George, didn't get in touch that often, so I don't even know what his relationship was like. What would I do?"

"To tell you the truth, Mrs Layton."

As soon as Alvin opened his mouth, Jude sighed softly, looking at the ceiling. It was because he could quickly sense what he would say to Kate with round eyes.

"You're the one who we think is a prime suspect right now."

"......what?"

Kate's mouth, as she was staring at Alvin blankly for a moment, as if she didn't understand what he meant, popped out something like a witless scream the next moment. 

"Oh, what?! What do you mean, what did I do! I never entered the reception room where George died today!"

"That's definitive. You've been in the reception room today."

"What..."

Kate faltered back. Alvin calmly continued.

"It was found at the crime scene. One of the artificial nails you put on. It's also near the fireplace. It looks like one is missing now, so you don't need to show anything else."

Kate hurriedly hid her right hand behind her. Jude, who was watching her bite her lips, added in a not-so-serious voice.  

"And it's fishy that you didn't enter the reception room when you were looking for Jack in the first place."

"Yes, the motive is under investigation, but you're the most likely person in terms of physical evidence. That's what we're going to focus on."

"No way, no way! Why me, why me, George? Well, yeah, I've been there looking for Jack, but I never ran into George there!"

This is really weird. Jude rebutted, narrowing his eyebrows.

"Kate. George didn't come out of the reception room while you were looking for Jack, and if you had entered the reception room, you would have met him."

"I mean, I might've seen him, but I think I'm too preoccupied, so I came out without realizing it! There was no Jack in the reception room. Don't get me wrong!"

It gives off a nuance that people might misunderstand. Kate, who was looking at the two alternately, soon jumped out of her seat, tired of Alvin and Jude staring at each other. The cute face was distorted by unknown emotions, whether it was anger or fear.

"How could you be so suspicious? Anyway, it’s not me. I don't want you to push me anymore. Do you have to do this after a long time since you meet me?"

The petite woman, who was staring at Jude as if she was really angry, soon opened the door roughly and left. Bang, the sound of the door closing behind her back was unusually loud.

There was silence in the room for a moment. Jude, who was looking past Alvin with an easy-going face, ask.

"Tell me—what are you up to?"

"I threw the bait. I don't know if I'll catch the fish or the boots, but I'll wait."

The serious detective face who interviewed the people was gone. With a leisurely expression on his face, he yawned quietly. There was no need to ask the details, and Jude asked briefly.

"Just the three of them?"

"Yes, those three. There's probably only one murderer. I can guess who it is, but if you want to arrest them, we'd better make sure they come clean and confess. We don't have a forensic team. I don't have the ability to tell the past just by looking at the faces of people I've seen for the first time, so we'd better let each of them feel shaken."

"And leave them unchecked?"

"Someone will inevitably come to see us."

Alvin stretched himself down on the chair. His eyes toward Jude were cheerful. If the location and situation were different, he could believe it was the eyes of a person who went on a picnic under the spring sun. For a moment, Alvin's lips looking at the air in a drowsy manner were silent.

"There are so many people, but only three people have been called. They'll be under pressure. The words they heard, the eyes of the people around them. They can't even say anything out of their mouth because they’re sure one of them is the culprit. They can't even talk to each other because they’re afraid they'll talk to the culprit. I'm sure each will think for themselves first. They'll think about cutting someone out and protecting someone... and eventually, they'll have to say something. They'll be coming from there, once they get enough of the situation. Like squeezing toothpaste, that's how you squeeze someone out. There's bound to be noise and conflict between the stories, but... it's our job to tune the offbeat pieces of the painting."

It sounded like a humming tone. Jude shrugged and looked back at the clock.

They waited without saying anything. About fifteen minutes after hearing the sound of the clock without moving as if they were asleep, the sound of a careful step on the end of the hallway rang almost imperceptibly. Jude's eyes glistened. Alvin also slowly raised himself, which had been lying back for a long time. Squeak. Squeak. The old wooden floor made a faint noise. Irregular footsteps that revealed the walker's hesitation soon stopped in front of the room. A short knock was heard, and the door slowly opened.

The face that was revealed through it was still shiny with sweat. He licked his lips several times and managed to speak out.

"Well, Jude, I have something to say..."

Alvin's eyes, which Jude glanced back at, were so faintly bent that it was hard to tell.


Comments

  1. I'm not really good at this detective stuff but the one who entered at the end is probably not the culprit... Probably haha. Thank you for the Update... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay ( ΰΉ‘>α΄—<ΰΉ‘ ) haha. You're welcome.

      Delete
  2. I want to make some theory but ik myself well i will end up like a 🀑 and yess they became naturall it's so cute that jude just listened to alvin and played along with him 🀭
    Thank you ❤️πŸ’―

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have been there. The 🀑 I mean 😎 But it's okay. It just proves that our imagination is richer than others πŸ˜† And the internet shall keep our black history forever. You're welcome.

      Delete
  3. OMG, detective Alvin just has to be manipulating 🀦🏻‍♀️

    Honestly, they are all suspicious!

    The one I suspect most is Kate.

    She is either the culprit or a wetness.

    Thank you for the chapter! πŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your typo is quite something ahahah πŸ˜† Well, I'll just 🀐 abt the culprit but you're welcome πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much for translating <3 found this novel yesterday and fell in love with it from the first chapter haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome πŸ˜† Glad this novel has another fan 😎

      Delete
  5. Hm… this case is a bit tricky. I’m guessing it was Jack. Ahaha! (´∀`)

    But I’m not sure.

    Again, thank you for the marvelous translation. m(_ _)m

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BBDW 78 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 80 [END] [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 74 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 61 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 73 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 58 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland