BBDW 57 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

Section 59.2 (UNEDITED)

Lyle barely opened his mouth after a few sips of water from the cup.

"-Hey, you know what. If it was the most willing person to kill George, I'd pick Jack."

"Why?"

Lyle, who swept away his hair with an uneasy touch, which has thinned a lot despite his young age, looked around and lowered his voice.

"Actually, George and Jack had some problems. Because of Kate."

"Because of Kate? What do you mean?"

"Well that, that's it. Actually, George has been fond of Kate for a long time. He kept in touch with her after he succeeded as a businessman. Maybe it's been like that since we were in the orphanage. Well... I think Jack knew what happened. When he had a drink with me and when he was very drunk, he muttered that to me. I mean...."

"So, the most likely person to have killed George is Jack. You have no motivation."

"Yes, he is! Why would I kill George, we're from the same company, and he was my boss! He’s the one who pays me!"

He said there was no reason to cut his lifeline with his own hands. Jude scratched the back of his head and asked.

"George and Kate? When we were younger, I couldn't even sense it in the orphanage."

"Oh, no, I think George unilaterally liked her. Kate felt burdened by it......maybe Jack knew it. I think George contacted her from time to time after we grew up."

"Oh, yeah."

"Thank you for telling us, Mr Trace. We’ll look into it again based on what you said, so please go back and wait."

Alvin utters neatly. It means he had nothing more he wants to hear, and Lyle's eyes got a little bigger. He shook his hand desperately and tried to explain.

"Investigate again, I'm sure it's Jack. I heard people say he’s been away for a while! He’s had such a terrible expression since he met George here today, and I was thinking, whatever happened today, would happen!"

When the man standing in the play of timidity suddenly shouted in a nervous tone, the blond detective looked at him with a little bemused eyes. After noticing Alvin and Jude's gaze, Lyle soon turned his eyes around and rubbed his sweaty palms on his pants. The light pupils blinked several times for a short moment.

"An, anyway... please consider it. And, and it’s really not me."

Lyle, spitting out as if he was eating something hot in a hurry, soon jumped up and left the room. Unlike the door banging with excessive force, the footsteps walking down the hallway were quite cautious, and Jude, who touched the cup in front of Lyle, shrugged and looked back at Alvin. Alvin's mouth was smirking slightly and Jude spat out insincerely.

"I think he’s lying."

"To a certain extent. But it could be another bait."

He could quickly understand the meaning of what he was saying. Jude sighed briefly. It was a method sometimes used by the police, but what the man in front of him was trying to do was a bad thing that was never second to that. Make some suspects advantageous and they will tear and scratch each other - of course, mentally. While the mixture of garbage, flesh pieces, malice, and abusive language are mixed together and burst out like dirty water, they filter out what really needs to be rescued and set the inside story. And now Alvin was smiling with the oil in his hand to pour into the fight.

"Who will come next time? Since one person started, the second will come. If not, I'll have to go out and get them."

As soon as the words dropped, a harsh knock came from behind his back. The door opened before he could tell the other to come in. The burly man with short brown hair glanced back and closed the door. Jack strode along without much hesitation and sat where Lyle sat, alternating between Jude and Alvin. Jack, who was biting his lips, soon speaks to Alvin in a soft voice.

"Well, I'm sorry about earlier. I was a little excited."

"No, I was a little harsh. So, what's the matter?"

"I have some idea about the person you're looking for."

"Some idea? What is it?"

With two pairs of eyes glisteningly directed at Jack like those who had never heard what Lyle had just said, Jack licked his lips once and said in a low voice.

"It’s Lyle."

"Why Lyle?"

"Actually, I met Lyle a few times before this event. George, I didn't like him that much and we don’t really see each other, and there was no reason to be emotional for Lyle. But Lyle has a weak alcohol tolerance. He gets drunk right away and he says everything he doesn't usually say. That's when I heard it."

Jack drew himself down. The eyes facing the two detectives - what he thought - were serious.

"Lyle, he and George didn't get along very well. I guess they were almost like a stepmother and a child. Jude, you know Lyle stutters a little and a bit of a drag, right?"

"Well, to some extent."

"It was George who pulled him up. So he tried to endure and acted like a servant without saying anything, but he said he doesn't treat him like a human being. Lyle always said that when he's drunk, that he's treating him like an owner is to his dog. I was wondering if everything was okay because he was timid and quiet, but seeing him get drunk, shout and even swing a bottle later, I thought it wasn't normal."  

"Really?"

"That's right. Originally speaking, quiet and gentle guys are really good at doing crazy things once they flip around. And with George gone, it’s not like I can't even imagine how the guy that has been George's best friend and had been sticking to his side, occupying his spot instead."

"So what you're saying is, he's the most likely person to have killed George?"

Jack nodded enthusiastically at Alvin's words with a look of surprise.

"Yes, it is. I don't have a reason to kill George, do I? I haven't met him much since he left the orphanage, and although I have a bit of a temper, I'm not so senseless as to kill people."

"But, Mr Layton."

Alvin clasps his hands together and put them on the small table. Jack stared at Alvin without batting an eye and asked in a slightly nervous tone.

"Why?"

"There was a certain point of contact between you and the dead Mr McNeil, wasn't there?"

" Contact point... we're from the same orphanage? No, if that's the case, Lyle too...."

"No, your wife."

Jack's face hardened to a frightening degree. Jack, who had a face that was several times stiffer than when he grabbed Alvin by the collar, soon opened his mouth with a slightly pale complexion.

"How can you..."

"Oh, I heard from Mr Trace. He told me about it."

"No way, Lyle, how could he do that..."

His voice flew off the handle. Jack, who jumped up to grab Alvin by the collar just like before, breathed in confused eyes. There was more shock than hostility in the trembling breath. Regardless of Alvin and Jude's eyes, he touched his chin with a nervous look.

"When...He didn't show any sign of knowing that...No, he's close to George, so...But...By any chance, this time...Did he happens to…… That guy gets in touch...Did he happens to..."

The sudden change made Jude slightly narrows his eyebrows and heads for Jack. Jack, who had been motionless on his seat as if he had been hit by a strong electric shock, soon moved to the doorway like a person who had been doused by cold water.

"I, I need to see Lyle."

"-You don't have to. I'm calling in Mr Trace and your wife now. You can stay here."

"No, I don't think you understand, but I have a personal question. I'll be back in a minute."

"I don't think you understand, Mr Layton. I clearly said you didn't have to."

Alvin got up from his seat and stood at the door. Jack's pointed gaze hit Alvin. Jude, who received Alvin's gaze, rose from his seat with a long sigh and left the door to call the two of them downstairs.

*        *        *


Comments

  1. Thank you for the update. My thoughts in the first half was maybe all three of them conspired to kill George but then Jack started acting weird again making me unsure.

    Haha ok, looking forward to the next update....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe you're welcome ( ˘ ͜ʖ ˘) Everything will be exposed in the next update. In a few hours.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the chapter <3 I'm anticipating the action haha though I love it when they're working together so I almost don't want the arc to finish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome <( ̄︶ ̄)> For them to 'work' together is truly rare indeed.

      Delete
  3. Thank you ❤️💯
    A mental game🤭 ahh seriously i can't think of the killer maybe kate?
    Hahaha ur not late thanks for the update and i have good memory when it comes to novels especially the ones i like so i remember the details for this arc 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome (  ̄ω ̄ ) Hehe thank goodness. And the killer is.... in the next update.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the chapter!
    Alvin is really evil 😳
    For some reason, I’m starting to suspect the least suspicious person, Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome ¬‿¬ I'm just going to zip my mouth ehehe.

      Delete
  5. Kate is sus. I think we should vote her out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is weird, I like Manipulative Alvin—it’s just too exciting to read. Ahaha! Am I losing my mind?(≧∀≦)

    Anyhow, we’re almost at the conclusion!

    Thank You & stay safe ٩(^‿^)۶

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BBDW 78 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 80 [END] [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 74 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 61 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 73 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland

BBDW 58 [Black Butterfly] - Nevereverland